Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Silver 3

So I'm way behind on my updates, but I do have some quick news to share before I return to our regularly scheduled programming. Since arriving, we have been in temporary teams known as "pods," but yesterday we found out our permanent teams, which we will be on for the remainder of our 10 months in Americorps NCCC.

I am proud to announce that I am now part of Silver 3, which is headed by Team Leader Jessi Carver. We are a specialized team known as an FRT, or fuel reduction team. For the majority of the year, we will be working with federal, state, and non-profit land management agencies (such as the U.S. Forest Service) to reduce the risk of wildland fires. This work includes cutting and stacking vegetation, clearing space around homes, educating community residents on fire prevention, and conducting prescribed burns. Although it is not guaranteed we will see fire, the team may also be called on for wildland fire suppression. All FRT members receive specialized equipment training in water pumps, chain saws, and other gear and will be certified as Wildland Firefighters, Type 2.

To get on an FRT, we had to complete and application and also participated in a physical fitness test. The test involved walking three miles in less than 45 minutes while wearing a 45-pound vest. When I first heard the requirement, it didn't seem that arduous, but it turned out to be a much more formidable challenge than I anticipated. My legs were burning after the first mile, but after that I quickly turned numb; most of the test was a complete blur achieved only through robotic determination. I was painfully sore for nearly a week afterward, but I am extremely proud that I managed to make the walk in just under 40 minutes.

We had all been waiting anxiously since day 1 to get our permanent team assignments, so of course the Americorps NCCC had to draw out the ordeal by making it a scavenger hunt. We first found out we were on the Silver Unit through a series of clues that had us running all over the campus. Our final stop was the old Air Force airstrip, where we found our team leaders in full uniform standing rigidly in a row. It was an intimidating vignette: a line of serious, burly young adults silhouetted against the lights of the air traffic control tower. They all introduced themselves and spent a few minutes talking up the Silver Unit's commitment to excellence and high standards.

This contrasted sharply with what I later heard about how other units introduced themselves. The Blue Unit was greeted with free candy and an ice cream social. The Green Unit played silly games as an icebreaker. I think it shows a bit of each unit's personality, and though I'm bummed I missed out on free food and games, I do have just a small chip of elitism about being on the more intense and serious unit.

My new team members seem nice enough though we haven't had much time to bond yet; there will be lots of opportunity for that later. They're not a very friendly group, but I think I prefer that to overly perky and enthusiastic teammates, which gets old really quickly. I do really miss the members of my pod, who have become close over the few days we had together. Before we disbanded, we had our final muster and shared our touchy-feely reflections and fond memories. It's nice to know I have them as a support system, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how the relationships on my new team develop.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, Josh, I am proud of you.
    It sounds like you have yourself a very challenging assignment. I am also proud that you can pass that arduous tests. The 5K run must have helped get you fit for this, huh?
    Btw, does this mean you are going to have new room-mates or move location?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like ur having a good time... 5am PT huh? I'm expected a buff and fit Josh when you come back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah!! That's so awesome, Josh! Congratulations on getting into such a hardcore team :-). What does it mean to be certified as a Wildland Firefighter Type 2?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @jw Yeah, the 5K definitely helped! And I will probably get new roommates and move dorms some time next week.

    @JZ Haha, no promises....

    @Michelle Thanks! I have no idea what that means, but it sure sounds cool! haha

    ReplyDelete