Friday, November 13, 2009

Induction

The day has arrived: the end of training and the beginning of our lives as approved AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps members. After our early morning physical training, we donned our "AmeriTux," a uniform consisting of our crisp white AmeriCorps polo, black slacks, and our newly shined steel-toed boots, and prepared for induction. We took our official team photograph, then headed over to a nearby theater pavilion for the ceremony.









The ceremony was inspiring, short, and sweet. Everyone was in a boisterous mood and enthusiastically shouted our respective unit cheers before the program started. Silver Unit's cheer goes something like this:

Here we go, here we go,
Silver, Silver, here we go,
Heigh ho,
Heigh ho, Silver, go!
Heigh ho,
Heigh ho, Silver, go!
BEN RICHEY!

We had only a few speakers, including Pacific Region Director Jim Phipps, who opened the program with words of encouragement, pride, and gratitude for our service.





Our guest speakers came from much higher up in the organization. Charles Davenport, the AmeriCorps NCCC director of projects and partnerships, came from Washington, D.C., to offer his congratulations and words of wisdom, and Kristen Haggins, who heads the California state office of the Corporation for National and Community Service, was the keynote speaker. You can see some photos and watch a video of their statements below.









The team leaders lead us in a recitation of the AmeriCorps pledge, which goes like this:

I will get things done for America - to make our people safer, smarter, and healthier. I will bring Americans together to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy, I will take action.
Faced with conflict, I will seek common ground.
Faced with adversity, I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment with me this year and beyond. I am an AmeriCorps member,
and I will get things done!




Finally, per popular request for photos of me, I'll include a picture of me "chucking a tres" in honor of my official induction into Silver 3. Heigh ho, Silver, go!

2 comments:

  1. Alright, you are now official ...
    hope you bring that spirit home and infect the rest of us at home and at our home church

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you son! You all look so good in that white polo shirt! Now the works begin, give your best!

    ReplyDelete